—thoughts by Pastor Charles P. Schmitt
America is in trouble. The cause of much of this lies with those who are committed to overturning the biblical foundations of America as a nation. They want to make America a purely secular nation; perhaps so that they can more easily further their unbiblical social agenda.
The elections of 2016 are therefore critical. As the dust settles and the candidates become more clearly defined, every true Christian will be given their greatest God-given responsibility—to vote into office those candidates—whether Democrat or Republican—who are most committed to restoring America to its original biblical foundations that we again may be a God-fearing nation. And obviously, our greatest need is to see yet another national heaven-sent Great Awakening that will turn the hearts of the people of America back to God!
America’s clear biblical roots and godly foundations are borne witness to in these amazing random historical statements—
- “Preserve me, O God, for in Thee do I put my trust.” —Psalm 16:1, etched on the stained glass window featuring George Washington in earnest prayer; in the Capitol Building
- “Search the Scriptures…Holiness to the LORD…May Heaven to this Union continue its beneficence” —Inscriptions on the carved tribute blocks of the Washington Monument
- Laus Deo (Praise be to God) —Engraving on the aluminum capstone of the Washington Monument
- “…the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth – that God governs in the affairs of men…We have been assured in the sacred Writings that “except the LORD build the house, they labor in vain that build it.” I firmly believe this, and I also believe that, without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel…I therefore beg to move that, henceforth, prayers imploring the assistance of heaven and its blessings on our deliberations be held in this assembly every morning before we proceed to business, and that one or more of the clergy of this city be requested to officiate in that service…As the Scriptures are given for our reproof, instruction and warning may we make a due use of this example before it is too late…” —Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
- “…The God who gave us life, gave us liberty…Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that His justice cannot sleep forever.”…”The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehended it not.” —Inscription from John 1:5 in the Great Hall of the Jefferson Building, the Library of Congress
- “Thou hast put all things under His feet…The Truth shall make you free” —Scriptures engraved on the front facade of Union Station in New York City
- “Not until I went to the churches in America, and heard her pulpits aflame with righteousness, did I understand the secret of her genius and power. America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, she will cease to be great” —Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America
- “I will insist that the Hebrews have done more to civilize man than any other nation…your Jehovah is our Jehovah and your God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is our God” —John Adams (1735-1826), 2nd President of the United States (1797-1801)
- “…The Bible is a book of faith, and a book of doctrine, and a book of morals, and a book of religion, of especial revelation from God; but it is also a book which teaches man his own individual responsibility, his own dignity, and his equality with his fellow-man” —Daniel Webster (1782-1852), leading American statesman, Senator from Massachusetts, and hailed as the leading constitutional scholar of his generation.
- “The Bible is the Rock upon which our Republic rests” —President Andrew Jackson, 7th President of the United States (1829-37)
- “The great vital element in our system is the belief of our people in the pure doctrines and Divine truths of the Gospel of Jesus Christ” —Resolution, House of Representatives (1854)
- “Our society is illuminated by the spiritual insights of the Hebrew prophets.” —Lyndon B Johnson, 36th President of the United States
—Quotes courtesy of firstname.lastname@example.org
“AMERICA! AMERICA! GOD SHED HIS GRACE ON THEE!”