Today is the Day of Pentecost—50 days after Jesus’ resurrection. Today is the day the Holy Spirit came and filled the lives of the disciples and early believers. You, too, can have your own personal Pentecost today!
The fullness of the Holy Spirit is the overflowing of the Holy Spirit into, and out from the believer, the fulfillment of the promise the Father gave to all believers, leading to a full, rewarding life in Jesus Christ.
“Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, ‘If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him.’ By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive….” (John 7:37-39 NIV)
It is important for us to focus on the five great words of this Scripture —“thirsty,” “come,” “drink,” “believe” and “flow.”
- “Thirsty” – Do you have a thirst for a deeper life in the Lord? For a closer walk with Him? For a boldness to serve Him? Thirst is the prerequisite to being filled with the Holy Spirit.
- “Come to Me” – We must always come to Jesus for His fullness. He alone is the One who gives to us the gift of the Holy Spirit. Come to Jesus for the fullness of His Spirit!
- “Drink” – This is an act of receiving. Even as we drink a glass of water or breathe in a breath of fresh air, so we are simply to receive from Jesus the gift of the Holy Spirit. Even as we first trusted Jesus to freely forgive us all of our sins, so we now trust Him to freely fill us with all of His fullness!
- “Believe” – Believing the Lord is simply taking Him at His word. His promises are His unfailing Word. And He will always fulfill His promises to us. This confident expectation is called “faith.” Release your faith in His promise! Believe His word! He will fill you now!
- “Flow” – The promise of Jesus is that “streams of living water will flow from within…” us. In this assurance of faith, we are to step out in our devotional life, in our personal life, in our life of witness to the world, and believe that Jesus Christ will flow through us today in a miraculous way, in the gifts of the Spirit and in the fruit of the Spirit, by the power of His Holy Spirit! Today can be your personal day of Pentecost!