Day 3: God’s Strategy for Revival
Prayerfully read 2 Chronicles 5-7.
Every new move of God has historically been preceded by alarming and deteriorating conditions. Even as the book of Judges describes a cycle of sin, disobedience, repentance, confession and deliverance, even so, we see this same cycle in the history of the church. Judges concludes with this sad commentary, “In those days there was no king in Israel; everyone did what was right in his own eyes.” (Judges 21:25)
God’s answer to this grievous situation is found in today’s Scripture. When, as a result of sin and disobedience to His truth, the Lord lifts His hand of favor and blessing upon a people and a nation, He Himself provides the remedy.
IF – implies we have a choice to obey or not to obey.
MY people – God looks not to governments or programs for the turn-around. He waits for His people, who have been cleansed and forgiven by His precious blood, who have been filled with His Spirit, and have been baptized into the family of God! What an incredible privilege to be called “My people, who are called by ‘My Name.’” Now ponder the Lord’s invitation for us to experience a personal and national transformation and awakening.
IF we the church do these 4 things, He promises to answer from heaven —
- “Humble themselves” – a broken and contrite spirit, a tender and teachable heart (meditate on Psalm 51)
- “Pray” – to talk with, to share our thoughts and longings with, to make specific requests of (meditate on James 5: 13-18)
- “Seek My Face” – Spending time walking, talking and enjoying His Presence (meditate on Psalm 27)
- “Turn from their evil ways” – to repent, to have a change of mind and heart (meditate on Isaiah 6). It is only as we spend time in the holiness of His Presence that we become aware of the depth to which we need to repent and change. (Meditate on Acts 3; note what Peter says about repentance.)
- He will hear from heaven
- Forgive our sins
- Heal our land
This is revival and awakening!
- Pray for personal and family revival, and for the restoring of first love to the Lord and one another.
- Pray that the “fear of the Lord” will sweep across our families, church and nation.
- Pray for a spirit of prayer to fill you, your family and the church in America.
- Pray about the concerns of your heart.
By Pastor Dotty Schmitt