The High Court of our land – I use that term because there is only one Supreme Court, and that Court is the Supreme Court of Heaven; and there is only one Chief Justice and His name is Jesus Christ! – the High Court of our land has made at least three major moral blunders in its history.
The first was the Dred Scott Decision, declaring that those of African descent could not be citizens of the United States of America. Thank God that erroneous decree has been reversed, and the recent election of our first African-American President was the ultimate undoing of this grievous miscarriage of justice.
The second moral evil of the High Court was its 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling endorsing abortion and thereby consigning 61 million pre-born boys and girls to a painful death for the crime of simply being “inconvenient” (but that is changing!) The third moral blunder was when a panel of unelected officials recently created legislation redefining marriage (instead of fulfilling their purpose to clarify existing legislation).
In all of this we are reminded of the stern warning that comes to a corrupt judicial system: “Can a corrupt throne be allied with you, O Lord, one that brings on misery by its decrees? They band together against the righteous [as in the Dred Scott decision and now the recent Marriage decision] and condemn the innocent to death [as in the Roe v. Wade decision]…. The Lord … will repay them for their sins and destroy them for their wickedness…” (Psalm 94:20-23). Sobering words! If I were a High Court Justice I would take these words seriously to heart!
AMAZING GAINS ON THE ABORTION ISSUE
- The U.S. abortion rate hit its lowest level since 1973, the year of the Roe v. Wade ruling! A tide is turning! Kristan Hawkins, President of Students for Life, writes— “This generation of young people is the most pro-life since the Supreme Court handed down Roe v. Wade in 1973. Abortion facilities are at their lowest numbers in the past 20 years. State legislation restricting abortion is at an all-time high. And public opinion clearly shows that the majority is morally opposed to abortion and would ban abortion in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters in favor of common-sense restrictions.”
- Righteous lawmakers in the U.S. Congress are also poised to introduce the “Life at Conception Act,” declaring unborn children “persons” as defined by the 14th Amendment to the Constitution and thereby entitled to legal protection. In the original 1973 High Court decision of Roe v. Wade, the Court made this admission: “If [the] suggestion of personhood [for the preborn] is established, the [case for abortion] collapses, for the fetus’ right to life is then guaranteed specifically by the 14th Amendment,” which prohibits depriving “any person of life [and] the equal protection of the law.” We need to support this bill by prayer and by encouraging our legislators to pass it!
- Another bill being put forward by righteous law makers in Congress is the “Pain Capable Abortion Ban Bill,” which would end the abortion of fully-formed, viable babies at the 20th week of pregnancy, at which point every study shows the pre-born are capable of feeling excruciating pain. (The U.S. is one of only seven countries in the world that does not protect unborn babies at this stage!) We must also prayerfully stand with our lawmakers in encouraging this bill!
- Kermit Gosnell, who regularly delivered babies alive at his abortion facility in Philadelphia, only to snip their spinal cords with scissors before discarding their limp, dead bodies, is now serving two life sentences for infanticide. Justice has come to him!
- The wisdom of one of our truly great U.S. presidents, Ronald Reagan, sheds clear light on our pathway – “Every legislator, every doctor, and every citizen needs to recognize that the real issue is whether to affirm and protect the sanctity of all human life, or to embrace a social ethic where some human lives are valued and others are not.”
- And our God Himself declares, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I set you apart…” (Jeremiah 1:5). King David also testifies to this truth: “Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be” (Psalm 139:16). Life is sacred to God and sacred to godly people. Regardless of one’s past mistakes in this dilemma, we must rise up in the We are winning the battle for life!